Wednesday 29 February 2012

TV Table Cover



 A few years ago, I got Jeremy a TV table for beside his bed in his room, since there was no other surface to put things on, since his desk had a television on it. It was a solid wood, very sturdy table, and I liked it so much, I got on for myself to extend my crafting area when I needed to, but was easy to fold up.



Unfortunately, after a mishap with crazy glue, a cross stitch hanging and the hangings felt back, I got a large amount of glue on the top, which stripped the lacquer off the top in places.


I hated the look, which is why I decided to make a cover for it. I used extra material from the curtains my Mom had made for me a few years earlier. I measured the top of the table and added a side length of three inches to each side, you can add longer sides if you want it to cover more of the legs. I chose to go with shorter sides so that it would not have to be taken off when I folded up the table.

Cut a rectangle out that is the length and width of your measurements with the sides, plus seam allowance.

For my seams for the bottoms of the sides, I used a half inch, which is the same width as the stripes in my fabric's pattern. Sew the seams on all four sides.

Now, place the fabric wrong side up on top of your table's surface and center the fabric. Using pins or clips, pin the excess material in the corners to create triangles.

I didn't remember to take a photo of the pinning process, but this photo gives you a pretty good idea of what I mean by making a triangle.
Sew down the inside edge of the triangle, creating the corner edges. Turn right side out, press the corner edges to make a sharp edge and your cover is ready to go.






I decided that my cover needed a little something extra, so I added a cute little cross stitched photo of Winnie the Pooh (I got the pattern as a free gift with one of my cross stitch magazines). I bast-stitched some waste canvas on and used that to make my crosses even. Once the picture was completed, I pulled out the waste canvas as per the package's instructions and Voila!


I love the cover and it was worked very well for me for the last couple of years. Plus, if I end up making a mess, I can just throw it in the wash afterwards.














No comments:

Post a Comment